The GATE Exam was conducted by IIT Delhi this year. The level of difficulty for Mechanical Engineering was found to be Moderate. The questions were found to be more conceptual and logical.
- The General Aptitude section had very easy and formula-based. It can be solved by putting the values directly into the formula. Questions based on the Natural numbers were asked.
- In the Mathematics section, the questions were more difficult than that of the previous year.
- The Design questions were more conceptual and a little bit tricky. The questions from the Refrigeration topic were tough. Questions related to temperature calculations were asked from Heat Transfer. Questions from Conduction, Convection, numerical from UDL & VDL. Milling & Rolling questions, matching questions were asked from Production which was tough. One question from Machine Drawing was also asked.
- In English, questions from basic grammar, sentence meaning, give a suitable title to paragraph, sentence correction was asked.
- Some questions were asked from topics which students don’t focus on for GATE like cam design etc.
- Some calculations were lengthy and time consuming
- Standard questions came from Metal cutting
- Most of the questions were numerical data type question in forenoon session. So very little scope of guessing and eliminating options. You need to be thorough with your concepts
- Some questions were very difficult like those from inventory, machine design
- Maximum questions came from fluid mechanics.
GATE Mechanical Engineering Exam Analysis: Marks Weightage in Each Section
Mechanical Engineering Forenoon Session
Timings: 9:30 am to 12:30 pm
Difficulty Level: Moderate
- General Aptitude Section was easy.
- Math’s section was tough in comparison to last year.
- Conceptual questions from Design Topics
- 10 Marks questions were asked from Fluid Mechanics
- 20+ questions from Numerical Ability. These questions were time taking and lengthy.
- 2 questions from Vibration Section were tricky
- 2 or 1 questions from Trusses, Metrology, Forming, Sheet Metal, Convention, Radiation, Heat Exchanger and LMTD.
Mechanical Engineering Afternoon Session
Timings: 2:30 PM to 5:30 PM
Difficulty Level: Moderate to Difficult
- General Aptitude Section to be very easy.
- Questions from the Thermal section were very easy.
- Questions from SOM and Production were very difficult and time-consuming.
- 25+ questions from NAT
- 16 Marks questions from Manufacturing
- 12 Marks questions from Thermodynamics
- Fewer questions from TOM in comparison to last year.
Students who are appearing for the GATE Mechanical Engineering exam in the future must refer to this GATE Mechanical Engineering Exam Analysis article. They should understand the number of questions asked from each section by referring to this GATE Mechanical Engineering Exam Analysis article. Then, they should start their GATE Preparation from the important chapters. https://engineersnortheast.com/category/gate/
Books for GATE 2020 Mechanical Engineering https://www.amazon.in/Mechanical-Engineering-GATE-Arihant-Experts/dp/9313192152